On synthroid, omprazole and micardis. Have developed strange spasm in throat at the back of thyroid. Suggest?

I am 71 year old female. i am on synthroid , omprazole, and micardis. In last 3 weeks I have developed strange spasam in my throught at the back of thyroid/???
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It would be inappropriate in this case to attribute these spasms to thyroid dysfunction at first sight. The characteristics of these spasms are worth specifying. Is this the first time you are experiencing them? what triggers these spasms? what other signs and symptoms have you noticed to accompany them? Any past history of back pain or spinal disorder?

During the spasms do you feel pin or not,are there any symptoms of weakness in the lower limbs. Knowing the integrity of the sphincters is also important.

The commonest cause of spasms is low calcium levels. But the classical muscles that usually contract are not back muscles. Neurological causes could also explain these symptoms. But the triggers would be important to be identified.

I think consulting a neurologist for complete evaluation, and an indepth interview to obtain answers to the above mentioned questions could be very useful. Blood calcium and magnesium levels, X rays of the spine if necessary and other specific tests, as shall be guided by the clinical enquiry and examination should be sufficient to help make an appropriate diagnosis and manage your problem.

I suggest you book an appointment with the neurologist.
Thanks and best regards. do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.
Dr Luchuo, MD.