On sulfamethoxazole for kidney infection. Feeling nausea and body pain. Is this normal?

General Surgeon
kidney infectionHi
I was diagnosed with a kidney infection 3 days ago I'm on antibiotics and painkillers i don't feel like I'm getting any better when I eat I start feeling nauseated and I have pain throughout my body.
along with what feels like cramps in lower part of stomach
.Is this all normal? Or do I need to go back to the hospital
Antibiotics that I'm on Sulfamethoxazole tmp ds
tablets ×2. daily
Oxy codone every 4 to 6 hours
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 49 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

First of all I need to share with you some thought about the medicines you have been given. Oxycodone is a very strong narcotic pain killer which should be given only if all other pain killers has occurred too ineffective. So giving such medicine for urinary tract infection is caused by muscles spasm. Therefore Oxycodone which do aggravates muscles spasm can make your pain stronger!
The symptoms you are suffering from are most likely side effects of Oxycodone as it very often causes nausea, vomiting, constipation and abdominal pains.

That is why I suggest you to consider other medicines (instead of Oxycodone which in my opinion should not be used in uti) helping with pain like: Metamizole, Buscolisine, Drotaverine.

It is also possible that the antibiotic you have been prescribed is no effective. If you still feel burning while urinating, frequent urinating, urine culture test should be performed and antibiotic should be changed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.