Ask a Urologist   »  

On sulfa based antibiotic for UTI. Started feeling stomach sickness. Can I take clyndomiacin?

I recently had a UTI and was prescribed a sulfa based antibiotic for it. That antibiotic made me sick to my stomach and was very unpleasant. Can I take Clyndomiacin rather than the sulfa based antibiotic?
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
The most commonly prescribed drug for UTI is sulfa based drug Cotrimoxazole and Clindamycin can not equate that drug for that indication.
I would suggest not to discontinue the drug you are taking, rather start Pantoprazole to cover the dyspeptic symptoms and take lots of water (about 3-4 litres/day) to reduce the side effects of cotrimoxazole.
If you have already discontinued it or do not want to take it at all then your physician would know other good options than clindamycin like Azithromycin, Levofloxacin etc. to name a few.
Dose and duration would depend on the clinical scenario you clinician would be better judge.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health