On several medications for depression and pschiozio affective disorder. Thinking incorporating a mood stabilizer such as epilium?

Hi I am on several medicaytions for depression and pschiozio affective disorder and am thinking about incorporating a mood stabilizer such as epilium

I am currently on 2mg risperidone, 50mg endep and60mg citalopram and am wondering if I can incorporate a mood stabilizer epilium in my medications
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It would be wise thing

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

You have mentioned that you have schizoaffective disorder depressed type. You are already on an antipsychotic and two anti depressant and it seems that this combination is not working for you.

Yes valproate can be added and its a wise thing to do. Valproate can be taken upto atleast 500mg per day.

Further your antidepressant andep can be switched to venlafaxine.

Secondly the dose of risperidone that you are taking is too low and it should be raised to around 6 mg at least if symptoms are not remitting.

Do discuss these issues with your doctor.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.