On several antidepressants and sleeping pills. Want to come off them. Any suggestion?

I am on several antideppressants and sleeping pills and desperately want to come off them. Not sure where to start
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 19 minutes later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with being on multiple psychotropic medication simultaneously. Psychotherapy like cognitive behavioural therapy can substitute for antidepressants to an extent. Sedative dependence can be reduced by following sleep hygiene I.e avoiding tea or coffee post evening avoiding naps in the noon waking up at the same time every day and never using bed except for sleep. Most importantly a thorough review of your treatment history will aid your psychiatrist in cutting down medication. I would request you not to abruptly discontinue any medication since they may lead to withdrawal symptoms. Slow tapering is the rule for psychiatric medication. Do clarify anything else you may want to.
Dr Sundar