On scribes 50 for chronic wrist arthritis pain. MRI showed pinched nerve. Any tips or suggestion?

Hi Dr. XXXXXXX My question is in regards to pain management. I've been seeing a very good Dr who scribes 50 of 5mg oc IM per month for over a year for my chronic wrist arthritis pain. 3 months ago I suffered a new injury in my back. Now showing degenerative disc, protrusion and pinched nerve from MRI. I'm finding the dose my PM has me on is not working as effectively now with this new injury. I have good relationship however, with all of the scrutiny with docs in my state I'm afraid to ask for a small dose increase. (i am on contract so he is the only doc u will get pain meds from) Do u have any tips or suggestions? Im just going to honest & tell the doc my quality of life is not the same as before and ask him if a dose increase would help? Thx for your help!
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

The degenerative disc pinching the nerve does cause aggravation of the pain and specially present with radicular pain (nerve pain).Such pain is much more severe than caused by any inflammatory reaction.

I do not doubt that the doctor treating you would deny the fact.You can ask him for the dosage of your comfort, I feel its an obligation rather than a choice.

Do not hesitate , the reason you have for the request is a considerable one.
Well, for the condition you have in your spine , the definitive treatment is by surgery.Do discuss about the same with your treating doctor.No pain medications or local therapies would help to the comfort level.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.