On pyralin en for microscopic colitis. Experiencing cramps in leg. Should I stop medication?

Question
i have been diagnosed with microscopic colinitus and been put on Pyralin EN. I have been told to take 3 tablets, each 500gm, twice a day. I am experiencing painful cramps in my legs at night which interrupts my sleep many times during the night. should I continue taking them, or lessen the amount down to 2 x twice a day. My Dr is away on vacation until mid/late April.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later

Painful cramps are not a known side effect of Pyralin EN. You should continue your drug according to advice of your doctor.

Painful leg cramps are frequent in ages above 60 and it can be due to diarrhoea/dehydration/electrolyte imbalance or muscle exertion. Leg pain and cramps are also sometimes present in microscopic colinitus.
You can relieve your muscle cramps by messaging your legs, paracetamol may also help. Take plenty of water and oral re hydration solutions.

Hope it helps. If you have any further question I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sunil

Follow-up: On pyralin en for microscopic colitis. Experiencing cramps in leg. Should I stop medication? 3 hours later
what precisely are "oral re hydration solutions... can you give me an example pls

Answered by Dr. Sunil 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Oral re-hydration solutions are available over the counter which is used to replace water and electrolyte in body. It is often known as ORS or Oral re-hydration salts.

You can also prepare it at home by placing 6 level teaspoons of sugar and a half a level teaspoon of salt into one liter of clean water. Allow the salt and sugar to dissolve, your solution is ready and you can drink it in whole day.

Hope it helps you. If you have any further question you may ask.

If you are satisfied then close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sunil