On prozac for years. Can it cause ADHD? How can I correct it?

ENT Specialist
I have been on pozac for 4 yrs and i see a also see a pchologist. He says I show symyoms of adhd. could the prozac be cause it? Is there a medition i can take to conteract the effefts?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 13 hours later

Well, I would like to make you aware of certain facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

ADHD is a childhood disorder and symptoms of which can linger into adulthood. In reality, many adults with ADHD don’t even realize that many of the problems they facing in their day to day life are because of ADHD.

To be diagnosed with this condition, an adult must have ADHD symptoms that began in childhood and continued throughout adulthood. Such adults may have a history of failure at school in the form of learning difficulties, inability to sit still, problems at work, constant fidgeting with objects, excessive daydreaming, etc., in their childhood. When such adults continue to carry the symptoms of ADHD in their adulthood, difficulties such as-to get organized, stick to a job, remember appointments, careful driving, daily tasks such as getting up in the morning, preparing to leave the house for work, arriving at work on time and being productive on the job can be challenging.

ADHD must be thoroughly evaluated by a licensed mental health professional for proper management for improving the quality of life.

Coming to Prozac, it is a selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) commonly prescribed as an antidepressants with good results. It does not have any role in the development of ADHD symptoms. In fact, antidepressants are sometimes used to treat adults with ADHD. So, you can continue the use of prozac.

In addition, Psychotherapy, including cognitive behavioural therapy along with medications can help in the management of ADHD.

A professional counsellor or therapist can help an adult with ADHD learn how to organize the life fairly with tools such as reminder notes or lists, and by assigning a special place for keys, bills, and paperwork.

I suggest you must take an appointment with your treating doctor for appropriate treatment required for ADHD.
Don’t worry; you will definitely lead a good life.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more help, I am here for future follow ups.