On progesterone 200 mg. Planning to conceive. Any alternate medicine?

My wife is prescribed with progesterone 200 mg twice a day. She is not pregnent yet but planning for 2nd kid. We found most of the tablet available are in the form soft gelating tablets which are of animal origin. Is it ok to skip this drug? Any alternate vega tablet or syrup available for the same?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
The soft gelatin capsules of progesterone contain a natural progesterone which is given to prepare the uterine lining for implantation.
The soft gelatin capsule can be inserted vaginally where the drug is absorbed through the vaginal mucosa. This way you can skip taking the drug orally.
There are other progesterone alternatives too or you can get natural progesterone in the injectable form. You can get the appropriate drug and dosage prescribed from your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: On progesterone 200 mg. Planning to conceive. Any alternate medicine? 1 hour later

Thanks a lot.
Kindly suggest the progesterone alternatives mentioned in the response. I am assuming that vaginal insertion has same effect of oral administraion. Hope this is correct. Docotor has prescribed twice 200 mg in a day.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The same softule which has been prescribed for oral administration can be inserted vaginally. It has the same effect when given vaginally. Other alternatives are injectable preparations like Proluton. You can get these prescribed in appropriate dosage from your gynecologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.