On pristiq. Experiencing fast heartbeat, severe nausa, hot and cold sweats. Should I stop taking it?

Hi there. My doctor took me off Avanza and put me on Pristiq. Its been 4 days on pristiq. I'm experiencing fast heartbeat, severe nausa, hot & cold sweats. Should I stop taking it? What will happen to my body if I cease the dosage? I cannot see any doctors or call them today (Sunday) need help.
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

The symptoms you're experiencing likely represent the period of adjustment that your body needs to go through while changing to the new medication.

It is possible that the dose of the new medication might need to be adjusted. I would advise you to continue taking the recommended dose and to otherwise focus on maintaining good healthy exercise and diet regimens.

Also make sure when you take the medication that you take it with plenty of water on a full stomach.

I am confident that eventually your body will adjust to the new medication and you will feel better with each passing day.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional questions I am here to answer them.

Dr. Robert