On prednisone, have headache, sore and stiff neck. Advise?

60mg of prednisone for 8 days; have headache, sore, stiff neck and feel flushed? Any advice?
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Talk to the prescribing doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these disturbing symptoms.

The immediate thought should have been that these are possible side effects of prednisolone and more so because you just started the medication. However, these symptoms are nonspecific and may point to some more concerning pathologies that warrants a closer examination. Headaches can be noted when taking prednisolone, but headaches and stiff neck always raises the suspicion of meningeal irritation that may signal meningitis.

I will like that you get examined and all other potential causes of these symptoms be excluded before we settle with the drug's side effects as a potential possible cause. This is because I will not want to take any chances and miss a concerning illness. The fact that you are on drugs does not necessarily means that you can no longer develop another illness.

You mentioned that you are being treated for unconfirmed vasculitis. Are any of these symptoms by the way some of the various symptoms that led to the suspicion and investigation for this disease? If so, please let me know.

I hope you understand my reasons. The other symptoms are possible with prednisolone not neck stiffness. This calls for caution as it may represent something else. If you have further related questions, please feel free to ask me and I will gladly address them.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: On prednisone, have headache, sore and stiff neck. Advise? 1 hour later
Thank you, Dr. Ditah. Sound advice. I will follow up with the prescribing rheumatologist.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I wish you good health

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your appreciation.

I am happy to know you would be following up with your rheumatologist. I wish you the very best of possible outcomes.

Dr. Ditah, MD