On pravastatin. Developed rashes inside legs and red blisters on labia majora. How to get cured?

Question
hey dr.I am a female,56yrs old ,i am on pain meds,an pravastatin i have developed a rash on the inside of my legs and red blisters on the right side of my labia majora and itching.What do you think an what can i get to clear it up.
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The rash and blisters on your leg are not likely to be related to the medicines you are taking. This is likely to be due to a superficial skin infection. A direct examination by a dermatologist is an integral part of diagnosis.
These are most commonly the result of superficial staphylococcus bacterial infection. I would suggest you to not to pop those blisters and keep the area clean. You could apply over the counter antiseptics like neosporin for a couple of days after bath, to see if the lesion gets any better. Usually systemic antibiotics are needed to control the infection. Meanwhile avoid touching the area with bare fingers and wear cotton undergarments only.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: On pravastatin. Developed rashes inside legs and red blisters on labia majora. How to get cured? 11 hours later
dr XXXXXXX Tayal,would usin clotrimazole 1% antifungal help any using it

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The blisters are not likely to be due to a fungal infection. However a direct examination will help in a better diagnosis. I do not feel that clotrimazole application will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.