On pill and had periods. Came off the pills. Missing periods. What to do?

Question
hi i had a last bleed from my pill, but took my next packet for only 5 days and came off them, now a week later i have had no bleed and dont know what to do?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: On pill and had periods. Came off the pills. Missing periods. What to do? 51 minutes later
i am frightened i could be pregnant, i had sex once in this time of the new packet and no bleed only though i took it for 5 days

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 42 minutes later

I can understand your concern for pregnancy. Since you had taken the birth control pills only for 5 days and then stopped taking them, hence absence of periods in your case can be due to :

1)     Pregnancy since you had unprotected intercourse after coming off the pills
2)     Hormonal imbalance caused by suddenly stopping the pills

To check the status of pregnancy, it is important to get serum HCG test (blood pregnancy test) done which is more specific than urine for pregnancy test.

I suggest you to get your serum HCG levels checked to confirm the status of your pregnancy or get an ultrasound uterus done which can confirm early pregnancy after 4-5 weeks gestation.

If pregnancy is ruled out then we need to investigate the other medical conditions causing missed periods. As mentioned earlier, it can be due to hormonal imbalance and should get better in a few days.

If it persists then we have to rule out causes which include conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. It could be hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome, increased stress, eating disorder, increased smoking, alcohol or caffeine use, PCOS, fibroid, polyps and endometriosis or less frequently due to pituitary conditions.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: On pill and had periods. Came off the pills. Missing periods. What to do? 15 minutes later
i would like to do a home pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy but not sure when to test? last period from pill 17th XXXXXXX retook pill 21st came off pill 28th and had sex once 24th XXXXXXX
Follow-up: On pill and had periods. Came off the pills. Missing periods. What to do? 8 hours later
please can someone get back to me cos i am so worried and need to do a test

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Most home pregnancy tests that check urine beta-HCG are sensitive to 20-25 mIU/ml of HCG. The test can be positive anywhere from about 2-3 days prior to a missed menses to 4-5 days after, but usually it should be done 7-10 days past your missed period. You can do a urine for pregnancy test with a sensitive test and if it comes negative then you can repeat the test after 1 week of your expected periods date if you miss them.