On pill. Started diarrhoea. Should I skip the pill free period and continue to the next pack?

Question
I am on the pill (21-day pills), and I am now in week 3 and have taken all 21 pills. But I've had severe diarrhoea for 4/5 days here in week 3 and I've read that it may affect the absorption of the pill. My question is now whether I am going to skip the pill free period and continue to the next pack, or just do as normal and have my pill free period and get my period now and then use other forms of contraception (for how long?)? What is the best?

If I am going to skip the pill free period and continue to the next pack is it then possible to stop after 7 days and have a pill free period and get my period or is it necessary to take all 21 pills before I can have my period?

I'm a bit confused, and want to be sure that I'm protected, so I hope you can help me.

Best regards
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Diarrhea does not affect the efficacy of the pill to a large extent.
You can stop the pill now, have a pill free period for 7 days and then resume taking the pill the effect of diarrhea would have been over by then.
It is of no use to take 7 pills from next pack and then have a pill free period. This might cause a hormonal imbalance
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: On pill. Started diarrhoea. Should I skip the pill free period and continue to the next pack? 13 hours later
Thanks for answering my query.

Should I use any other forms of contraception during the pill free periode for 7 days?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Any alternative contraceptive measure is not needed during this time as it is least likely to conceive during this time. Also, the pills you have taken will be enough to provide the protection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.