On peritonial dialysis due to potassium deficiency. Is it safe to give potklor syrup?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my dad is on regular three times a day peritonial diyalisis. because of this the defficiency of pottasium occures. can i give him POTKLOR syrup...? and in which dose ? plz reply me i want to know how i can remove pottesium deffiency occured because of regular three times peritonial email id is YYYY@YYYY

Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Potklor syrup contains Potassium chloride and comes in two strengths ie 1.5gm or 3gm per Unit .It is a prescription medicine used for hypokalemia ( serum potassium less than 2.5) and should only be given on advice of your doctor .
The doctor usually recommends one tbsp twice or thrice daily ( approx 100 meq per day ) for a few days and repeats the blood test to check for levels .
The medicine can have have many side effects and it's best to avoid self medication.
So please consult his nephrologist and get a prescription for the same .
Alternatively you can give your dad natural sources of potassium like coconut water , bananas etc to help him maintain his levels lost by diuresis.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing your dad good health and recovery.