On pep medication. Can i do a mutiplex hiv test?

im on the pep medication for 3 weeks, can i do a mutiplex hiv test now, very anxious.. i only have a week to go with the resyt of the medication but i just want to do check.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 33 minutes later

Hello and thanks for the query.
In the case of HIV infection, post-exposure prophylaxis is a course of antiretroviral drugs which reduces the risk of seroconversion after events with high risk of exposure to HIV (e.g., unprotected anal or vaginal sex, needlestick injuries, or sharing needles).The CDC recommends PEP for any HIV negative person who has recently been exposed to HIV for any reason.
To be most effective, treatment should begin within an hour of infection.After 72 hours post-exposure PEP is much less effective, and may not be effective at all.Prophylactic treatment for HIV typically lasts four weeks.

While there is compelling data to suggest that PEP after HIV exposure is effective, there have been cases where it has failed. Failure has often been attributed to the delay in receiving treatment (greater than 72 hours post-exposure), the level of exposure, duration of treatment (lack of adherence to the 28 day regimen), or all three. 
 PEP can also slow down the development of antibodies while the medications are still being taken. This can result in false negatives on an antibody test if the proper waiting period is not observed after completion of medications. The standard antibody window period begins after the last day of PEP treatment. Doctors will advise patients who received PEP to get an antibody test at 6 months post-exposure as well as the standard 3 month test.

I think it explains you well that don't be in hurry and complete the treatment course.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: On pep medication. Can i do a mutiplex hiv test? 1 hour later
Will alcohal affect treatment , I have the occasional few or more trips to the pub will this affects the medication effectiveness?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Scientists have long speculated that alcohol and drug use affects the rate of HIV progression. Alcohol is known to have suppressive effects on the immune system, and illegal drug use (particularly stimulant use) has been linked to faster progression.

However, the role of alcohol in HIV progression has remained elusive.

“While many studies conducted in the early 1990s found no link between alcohol consumption and HIV disease progression, more recent studies have suggested that there is such a link,” said the authors.
To better understand the connection between alcohol and disease progression, the authors of the review examined a number of studies from before and after the advent of antiretroviral therapy.
Results showed that prior to the advent of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), studies found no relationship between heavy alcohol consumption and HIV disease progression.
However, more recent studies from the post-HAART era have been inconclusive. Three of the six studies from the post-HAART era included in the review demonstrated an association between heavy alcohol use and at least one measure of HIV disease progression, such as higher viral load (amount of HIV in the blood), lower CD4 (white blood cell) count, opportunistic infections, or death.
The other three studies found no association between alcohol consumption and HIV progression, aside from alcohol’s impact on treatment adherence.

Since nothing is clear,I advise you to restrict yourself to mild drinking and that too occasionally.