On oxygen and has copd. Got treated for brain tumour by radiation. MRI showed spot on lungs. Advise?

My husband is on oxygen and has copd. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor which was successfully removed. They said the tumor was fed from somewhere else. The only spot that shows on the MRI is in his lungs so they assume that is the spot. He has had radiation on this head but they won't do chemo because he is not strong enough. He has lost a lot of weight 146 down to 131 and doesn't eat very well. Do you have any good ideas for getting him to put on weight? He is 78 and has no teeth
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
It appears that your husband is suffering from terminal lung cancer with spread to the brain. Is he bedridden? How is his consciousness and alertness level?
If his alertness is doubtful and that he has no teeth, it will be helpful to initiate tube feeding. A tube can be inserted through the nose into the stomach through which liquid XXXXXXX in protein and calorie may be fed. This is a simple procedure and not painful.
Even if he is taking by mouth, we can supplement with food supplements. There are specific ones which prevent weight loss in cancer patients. Please enquire with your dietician which one will be best suited for him.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: On oxygen and has copd. Got treated for brain tumour by radiation. MRI showed spot on lungs. Advise? 14 hours later
No he is not bedridden but weak. He is able to go to the bathroom with a walker. His mind is fine. He takes Boost several times a day
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 23 hours later
No, I don't think only boost is sufficient. I feel prosure may be better for him but obviously his dietician should have the final say.