On oral acitrom after mitral valve replacement. Can I use flex seeds?

Dear Sir/Madam, I am on oral Acitrom as my mitral valve has been replaced with prosthetic valve. Can I use flex seeds as part of my diet. I was told that flex seed interacts with blood co-agulation. Please advise.
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Flex seed is usually safe to eat unless you are pregnant or lactating mother or any medications for chronic illness.

As per your history given by you in your query you are on anti-coagulant drug (Acitrom) and high intake of unsaturated fatty acids (present in flex seeds) may reduce blood clotting as acitrom does. So before adding flex seeds to your diet you must consult your treating doctor, he will be the better person to guide you depending upon the dose of Acitrom and your INR value.

In my personal opinion it is better to avoid flex seed because it also slows down the process of absorption of medication if taken at that time. You can take flex seed occasionally, but take it in very limited dose. But consult your doctor before adding it to your diet chart.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer your any other query.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh