On opiates. How to get rid of short and long term memory loss?

My mother overdosed on opiates, she has short and long term memory loss and has lost use of her left hand. What are her prospects for recovery? It's been three days since she was released and is showing some (but minimal) improvement with memory.
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
your mother seems to have suffered a cerebrovascular accident, or a nerve injury apart from the opiate poisoning.
The opiate poisoning does not cause acute onset long-term memory loss and localised weakness like she is suffering in the hand. A brain CT/MRI investigation is worthwhile in her case.
The first week is the time of maximum recovery after that the residual problems recover slowly and variably over long time.
To avoid deformity in the weak limb, regular physiotherapy should be done.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: On opiates. How to get rid of short and long term memory loss? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr.Choudary.
Luckily my brother in law is a PTA, he will be very helpful in getting her to the right place for physical therapy. I am happy to announce that through prayer her emotional state is markedly improving, and her memory retention is increasing slowly but steadily.
I can't thank you enough for your clarification of what is going on with my mom. I wish you luck in all of your endeavors.

God bless you,
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 20 hours later
Welcome back to healthcare Magic!
You do not want to pay thanks to me probably because my advise has not restored the health of your mother.
I have a long list of thankful patients and their relatives so really it would not matter much, I am also feeling bad about her health but I can't be held responsible for what is in any body's fate!
I hope with good care and physiotherapy she would recover to manage the activities of daily life.
Take Care!