On omeprazole due to GERD, having urinary problem and want to switch to Famotidine. Suggest?

I have been on omeprazole for about 1 month due to GERD. But I've been having some urinary problems and would like to change to Famotidine. How long should I wait before changing over? If it's a matter of days, how many?
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can change when you like.

Detailed Answer:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem , I would like to tell you that omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor but famotidine is an H2 blocker . Both these medicines have different mechanism of action .

There is no harm in changing them , you can do it whenever you want until your treating doctor says against it . There is nothing like that you have to wait for sometime before changing in my opinion .

Dr. Shruti