On nuvaring. Had sex. Got bright red blood in period. Pregnant?

Dec 2012

I have been on nuvaring for about 18 months now (I didn't always follow the directions 100% for the whole 18 months) Sept 23 I had sex (used a condom) and my ring came out with out me noticing. I put it back in about 6-7 hours later when I realized it wasn't there. Started spotting 3 days later (which is the day It was suppose to come out for my 1week break) like my period was going to start so I took my ring out the Saturday (sept 29) to let my period flow. My period lasted 8 days instead of the normal 5 and it was more brown with some bright red blood a few days before it ended on oct 3. I put a new ring in on oct 5th and also had unprotected sex that night (about 10pm) a week later my boobs hurt & I'm cramping, yesterday my sense of smell is through the roof. I took pregnancy test for the last 3 days all negative. Am I pregnant & just too early to tell on a HPT? I also had sex on sept 27th & oct 10 if that matters..
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Still too early to detect pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am sorry for your troubles. As a doctor, the rule of thumb for me is always rule out the possibilities of pregnancy each time a woman presents at my office with abnormal vaginal bleeding by doing a HPT (only a few days after expected period has been missed) or conduct a serum HCG testing to determining if pregnancy. If pregnancy is ruled out, then other possibilities need to be envisaged such as pelvic infection, cervical disorders such as infection, tumors etc, uterine/ovarian tumors etc. So saying, a complete blood testings need to be done with STD screening and a pelvic scan before any tangible conclusions can be drawned.
I suggest, you wait for a couple of days to about a week to observe the evolutions of your symptoms i.e whether persisting or regressing. If persisting, then you need to see a gynobs or conduct a HPT again in case pregnancy is the culprit.

Hope this helps and which you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: On nuvaring. Had sex. Got bright red blood in period. Pregnant? 3 hours later
Is it ok to leave my ring in until i find out?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is ok to leave the ring

Detailed Answer:

It is ok to leave the ring there until you find out exactly what is going on.

Dr. Nsah