On norvasc. Will it affect a man sperm? How long to wait to conceive?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my 43 yr-old husband has been on Norvasc for the last 11 months. We would like to start a family and were advised that Norvasc can affect a man's sperm. How long would my husband's sperm be affected after he goes off the Norvasc? How long should we wait to start trying to conceive? Any help is much appreciated.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later

Norvasc can cause mild erectile dysfunction which is completely reversible after stopping the use of medicine.

In some studies it has been associated with a decreased sperm counts. This decrease in sperm count is also reversible with good diet within 90 days of stopping the medicine.

Eat a diet that includes whole, unprocessed foods. The best foods for health in general, and also for sperm count problems, are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seed. Avoid alcohol, smoking, take more of proteins and fresh vegetables. Minerals like zinc & selenium, amino acids like l-carnitine, and antioxidants like Vitamin C and Vitamin E are very crucial to sperm health.

Adding these supplements will help in better recovery.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.