On norco for broken humerus and elective hip replacement. Having anxiety, hot flashes, sweats while trying to get off norco. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello...I have been on Norco..1 every 4 hrs. for a broken humerus and elective hip replacement. Still doing therapy with the ar. I have anxiety 2-3 times a day since trying to get off the flashes, sweats, some trembling...have hallucinated walls moving etc. several times. What can I do ? Norco since Aeg. 17th til last Fri.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increase your water intake.

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms that you have described are all related to narcotic withdrawal.
Duration of withdrawal symptoms is usually found to be around four to five days and the symptoms will gradually subside within a week or two.
Increase your water intake to decrease the symptoms. Water is good for eliminating toxins from the body. Avoid caffeine as much as you can.
You can also get a mild anti anxiety drug prescribed from your physician to decrease the hallucinations and trembling.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.