On nekseum and cintapride tablets for IBS. Suggest some alternate medicine

Hi Doc, gud evening, I am suffering from IBS for a while and presently iam on Nekseum and Cintapride tablets, I am 62 years male working in Media Broadcasting industry....quite stressful though. This medication suits me but I still have a constipated stomach every morning< what do you sugest? I live in India/New Delhi My email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Management of irritable bowel syndrome consists of dietary measures, use of medications directed at the symptoms that your are experiencing , psychological support to deal with any stressors or events that may be worsening the symptoms.
In terms of the diet the following is recommended:(1)fiber supplements such as citrucel or fibercon
(2) using alot of water
(3)avoiding caffeine which can worsen symptoms
(4)avoiding legumes (beans,peas,lentils) may reduce bloating
(5)a few persons with IBS have gluten intolerance and may have to avoid foods with high levels
(6) symptoms may be worsened by the use of milk and milk products in some persoms so it may be neccessary to avoid these

Some persons with IBS may have to deal with alot of stressors and sometimes psychological assistance is required because stress has been shown to sometimes trigger the symptoms.Stress reduction or management has been shown to actually improve symptoms.
In terms of medications, there are different type of laxatives that are approved to treat IBS associated constipation. The bulk laxatives and newer ones that have recently been approved.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions