On microgynon. Having brown blood during periods. Getting abdominal pain. Can I be pregnant?

I'm on microgynon 30 and have been for the past four years. I usually have brown blood mixed with red when I get my period during the 7 day break, but for the last few months there has been no red, it's just brown, sometimes black with thick clots. Is this normal? Could I be pregnant and not even know it? I'm assuming this is still my period as it happens every month on my normal period date. I have also been experiencing sharp pains in my lower abdomen on the left side. However I've dealt with this on and off for many years as I've suffered from constipation since childhood, so I don't think it's linked, but I'm not sure of anything anymore.
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not to worry Detailed Answer: Hello, You need not worry about the colour of the blood. Brown blood is common,so is dark red blood. Its just collected blood which is coming out. Nothing to worry in that regard. You are not pregnant, if you are getting your period during the pill free week regularly. The sharp pains may not be related to this. It can occur due to various reasons. Ovulation pain, dysmenorrhea, constipation etc are all common causes. Continue the microgynon as before.
Follow-up: On microgynon. Having brown blood during periods. Getting abdominal pain. Can I be pregnant? 3 minutes later
Thank you. I knew that brown blood can be common as it is old blood, but is it still normal if that's ALL I'm getting now? No red blood at all, just brown blood? I know that some women get light brown blood instead of their period when they're pregnant, and that's what's worrying me, even though I have been taking my pill correctly. I'm on what I assume is my period at the moment, it's a mix of light brown blood and black clots. If I was to take a pregnancy test, would it be accurate at this stage?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: no worries Detailed Answer: Dont worry about the brown blood. Upon exposure to air, red often looks brownish. That doesnt mean this isnt your period. Having a period while pregnant, is extremely uncommon. Ans its unlikely to happen regularly over several months. Since you have been having regular periods, that is a problem. Dont take a pregnancy test while bleeding. The sample will be contaminated. To rest you mind, if you wish to take it, do after after you stop bleeding. If you are taking the pill correctly, having regular periods for at least2-3 days with normal flow, then pregnancy can be ruled out.
Follow-up: On microgynon. Having brown blood during periods. Getting abdominal pain. Can I be pregnant? 29 hours later
Thank you for this. Finally, you stated "having regular periods for at least 2-3 days with normal flow" is fine. I have been on my period for the past few days, but the flow is very light with some clotting. It's not usually very heavy, but it's usually heavier than this. Can your period change its flow from time to time even if you've been on the same pill for years? I find it concerning not being able to know if it's really my period or a sign of pregnancy or something else. Thanks for all your help.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 hours later
Brief Answer: flow can change Detailed Answer: The flow of the period change with time. I fact with long term use of pills, the flow can become lighter. As long as your're using 1-2 pads a day for the first two days, its normal flow. Bleeding can change with time, depending on hormone levels.