On metropolol. Had intercourse. Can I take morning after pill while on metropolol?

Had an accident last nite w my man and I think I might need the morning after pill but am on metropolol. Can I take it while on metropolol?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

There are no major drug interactions are reported between metoprolol and the morning after pills which contain "Levonorgestrel".

Still you need to exercise due caution while taking it, as in some cases the drugs taken together are reported to increase the effectiveness of metoprolol and increase its blood levels.

I know it is difficult but advisable that you visit your blood pressure, discuss with him and then take the drug.

I hope this helps.

Follow-up: On metropolol. Had intercourse. Can I take morning after pill while on metropolol? 6 minutes later
Thank u. I was at my doctor last week and my blood pressure has been really good. Even when I had my bout of atrial fib my blood pressure stayed normal the whole time
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 11 minutes later

Good to hear from you.

What I mean to say was, the drugs taken together might increase the effect metoprolol which can lower your blood pressure.

You need to take proper care while taking this drug. Other wise as written earlier there are no major side effects are reported.

I hope this clarifies your concern.