On metronidazole for a bacterial infection. Got white stuff around vagina.yeast infection?

Mar 2016

Hi,I have been on metronidazole for a bacterial infection. I finished the perscription but now im itchy and theres clumpy white stuff around my vagina. could this be a yeast infecion from the medicine?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

These are probably early sign of vaginal yeast infection. It may co-exit with previous bacterial infection.

One vaginal swab test can confirm that. Though pelvic examination is mandatory by your gynecologist to pin point the diagnosis.

Some triggering agents like birth control pill, condom, bath products/ chemical cosmetics, diabetes, thyroid disorder, broad spectrum antibiotics, steroids are needed to rule out to prevent future recurrence.

This can be treated with anti-fungal cream/ suppository/ oral tablet ( like clotrimazole group of drug). Genital hygiene is also to be maintained properly.

If you practice good genital hygiene, you can prevent this type of infection.

1) Keep your genital area clean & dry. Use mild, unscented soap and water to rinse well.
2) After toilet, wipe from front to back to avoid spreading yeast or bacteria from your anus to the vagina or urinary tract.
3) Wear allergen free clean cotton underwear that helps to keep your genital area dry.
4) Avoid tight-fitting clothing like panty hose and tight-fitting jeans. These may increase body heat and moisture in your genital area.
5) Change out of a wet swimsuit/ clothes right away. Wearing these for many hours may keep your genital area warm and moist. Change pads or tampons often.
6) Don't douche or use deodorant tampons or feminine sprays, powders, or perfumes. These can change the normal balance of organisms in your vagina.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.