On metrogyl for diverticulitis. Getting dark stool. Is the medicine causing the darkening of the stool?

General Surgeon
I am 69 years old, male, being treated for diverticulitis with Metrogyl. I have previously had an ulcer bleed that caused my stools to go black. This was treated by an endoscopy. My stools at present are quite dark, but not as black as the previous episode. Can the Metrogyl 400 be the cause of this darkening of the stools? Email YYYY@YYYY .
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Metrogyl can not be the reason of black stools. Black stool is mostly caused by bleeding from peptic ulcer. Sometimes, the reason of black stool is bleeding somewhere else like vessel malformation of small intestine or even some tumor in large intestine. Iron oral intake can be also a cause of black stools.
You should have your endoscopy repeated as sometimes ulcers are not being treated property or are resistant for standard treatment. If endoscopy will show nothing, and your hemoglobine level will be low, CT Angiography of your intestines is necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.