On methatrexate for arthritis. Having smelly urine. What should be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
hi i am a 53 year old women been on methatrexate for over 2 years now for arthritis my urine is a strong smell more a chemical smell than a urine smell which makes me gag i have had for over 2 months now even deodrant, white spirit the smell makes me gag
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 23 minutes later
There is no correlation between use of methotrexate and urine smell.
Urine normally has a strong smell first thing in the morning, as at this time it is very concentrated.
strong smelling is an indication you are not drinking enough water. If you are at all dehydrated, there can be the distinctive smell of ketones in the urine.
Asparagus is a typical example of a substance that is passed through the kidneys into the urine that gives a powerful aroma.
Other cause may be cystitis/ kidney infection and you should go for urine examination.
If there are no germs it is also possible that you have an inflammation of the urethra, the pipe from the bladder to the outside, known as urethritis. A urethral swab can be used for this problem.
You should also consult with urologist/ gynecologist.
Let me know your views.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: On methatrexate for arthritis. Having smelly urine. What should be done? 15 hours later
I know the urine is ment to smell strong first thing in the morning, mine smells the same strong chemical smell throughout the day no matter how much i have to drink.I don't eat asparagus i eat a lot of fruit and veg. Their is no way i can get to the doctors you have to ring at 8.30am that day to get an appointment i start work at 8.00am and about 9 miles or more from my doctor's i cannot drive so it makes it harder.
But what about the deodrants and white spirit and nail varnish remover turning my stomach whenever i can smell them, people can walk past me who have just put on deodrant and i gag, even when i put it on i gag.

Thanks for posting your views.

You can use deodrnts, white spirit, nail varnish remover and I think you are also hypersensitive to the smell.

You should also consult with ENT surgeon/ Neurologist

Take care,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava