On methadone tapering program. Can it be detected in hair follicle test?

question is that ive been on a methadone tapering program for 3 months now . currently on 20mg. trying 2 get hired with a company but they will be doing a hair folic test. will the methadone show up. and if it does what would it show up as. also would a doctors precription note clear me. desperate for an answer. been going to a clinic for treatment and doctor wasnt available for me to ask questions today please help thank you. nwhat is a person suppose to do when we want to work and have our lives back when we have to go thru hair drug testing to get a job. a job would be a big part of my recovery what do you suggest.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 30 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. The tests and kits can show methadone in the hair, but this is not illegal. The letter from the doctor will show that you are using the medication as part of your treatment. On the other hand, 20 mg a day is a low amount of medication and you will be able to decrease it gradually during the nest several months, especially if you start working. You can ask your doctor about possibility of adding a medication from the class of alpha 2 agonist drugs to your medication in case he decides to decrease your methadone sooner than expected. Let me know if you have any question. Best wishes with your new job.
Follow-up: On methadone tapering program. Can it be detected in hair follicle test? 1 hour later
one more question even with the doctor letter or percription could a place of employment not hire you or deny you employment. thank you so much for your prompt well spent.
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 3 hours later
Hi again, the letter of the doctor and/or the prescription are positive factors. Thank you for your compliment. Best wishes.