On metformin. Positive for OPK. Have lot of vaginal discharge. Ovulating soon after starting metformin?

Infertility Specialist
Question
This is my first week on metformin and i got a positive OPK (i do not have high LH and i dont have PCOS but i have PCO) i also have a lot of fertile vaginal discharge (stretchy). I barely get this kind of discharge. My insulin levels were normal as well as all of my hormones but my doctor put me on metformin to see if it would help restart my cycles and ovulation. My cervix is high and soft and very wet. It feels open but i am not too good at distinguishing between open and closed. Is it possible that i could be ovulating this soon after starting metformin?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 12 days later
Brief Answer:
You are ovulating

Detailed Answer:
Hi, you seem to be ovulating now.If you are in middle of your cycle, this is most certain that you are ovulating. Cervix opened or not cannot be tested by you on self examination. Metformin helps in women with PCO to ovulate. I suggest you have intercourse daily for next 3 days to get pregnant as you are ovulating now. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: On metformin. Positive for OPK. Have lot of vaginal discharge. Ovulating soon after starting metformin? 16 minutes later
I did but it has been about 9 days since i last saw the EWCM and i got a negative pregnancy test. I am still experiencing a lot of vaginal discharge that ranges from very milky with a slight yellow tint to a little white and stretchy. I am not sure what to make of this .

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mucous thickness test is not reliable

Detailed Answer:
In today's scientific world, cervical mucous thickness test cannot be relied upon and not advised. I suggest follicular growth scan is best way to confirm growing eggs and ovulation. Even if you ovulate normally chance of conception is not more than ten percent in each cycle. Hence you have to try again next cycle.

Follow-up: On metformin. Positive for OPK. Have lot of vaginal discharge. Ovulating soon after starting metformin? 1 minute later
I cant afford those scans so i will just keep trying. What is thr ideal insulin level to help with PCO .

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
dont waste money on insulin levels

Detailed Answer:
Hi, even the insulin levels are not necessary and useful. Please dont follow insulin levels, mucous thickness test. Hence i suggest you dont waste money on them . Use opk & get your partner's semen analysis done. Regards

Follow-up: On metformin. Positive for OPK. Have lot of vaginal discharge. Ovulating soon after starting metformin? 17 minutes later
Thank you. So can you explain to me why my dr put me on metformin 500mg once a day my glucose was 71 and my insulin was 10. He said to help with my pco but i dont understand how it works

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
lowers peripheral insulin resistance

Detailed Answer:
Hi metformin helps to reduce insulin resistance of body to effectively utilize the insulin. In PCO insulin resistance is presumed to exist in some women inspite of srrum insulin levels. Adding metformin in your therapy will help lowering insulin resistance associated with PCO and help in ovulating. Since you have already started metformin there is no use repeating insulin again as i explained previously.

Follow-up: On metformin. Positive for OPK. Have lot of vaginal discharge. Ovulating soon after starting metformin? 42 hours later
Ok thank you. I also just started having light pain in my left ovary that radiates a bit down my left thigh. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You might be ovulating

Detailed Answer:
Hi, the pain is due to ovulation. The egg might be ruptured which does cause pain. I Since OPK is positive, this is best time to have intercourse. Regards

Follow-up: On metformin. Positive for OPK. Have lot of vaginal discharge. Ovulating soon after starting metformin? 32 minutes later
Thank you. You are so helpful. I appreciate your quick responses. I went to am infertility specialist that wants to put me on birth control for 3 months and then get off ans start trying she said it would help regulate my period. I dont like taking birth control. Would it help get rid of some of my cysts?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Plls are no use

Detailed Answer:
You are right. Dont go for birth control pills. It will unnecessarily delay conception. It wont get rid of cysts.

I suggest you keep trying as I suggested earlier.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: On metformin. Positive for OPK. Have lot of vaginal discharge. Ovulating soon after starting metformin? 37 minutes later
Ok so bcp wont help regulate my period?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not permanent

Detailed Answer:

BCP will only help as long as you are on the pills. Hence i dont recommend it.

Follow-up: On metformin. Positive for OPK. Have lot of vaginal discharge. Ovulating soon after starting metformin? 2 minutes later
Ok that makes sense. Thank you. I will follow up with you after my next appointment

Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to contact anytime.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist