On metal stents due to ingestion of cannabis. Any side effect?

Are there major negative effects on metal stents (Rt Coronary Artery)
due to ingestion of Cannabis?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 31 minutes later
Hi welcome and thanks for writing in.
Metallic stents are usually taken up by native artery with growth of endothelium over it.

The best way to keep a stent from reblocking is to reduce as many risk factors as possible. That means lifestyle changes, including a healthy diet and exercise program, quitting smoking, taking the medical therapy and drugs your doctor prescribes, and scheduling an annual check-up visit with your cardiologist to stay on top of disease management. A stent is not a cure for your overall condition, but it can be a lifelong help to you in your fight for good health.

You are doing perfectly well in this manner for healthy life. Though cannabis is one of the risk factor , there is always some negative risk for re blocking the stent. It will definitely more helpful to avoid its consumption and continuing maintenance of other healthy habits.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern please let me know.

Follow-up: On metal stents due to ingestion of cannabis. Any side effect? 57 minutes later

Thank you Dr. Sanap,
One followup question is that I was on clopidogrel for one year following my April 2011 procedure to have the metal stent placed. My cardiologist has ceased that medication and reported to me in my next to last visit 8 months ago, that I "have a normal functioning heart now."
Have there been any autopsy related data that indicate known damage to cardiac muscle near stent-zones resulting from cannabis exposure/use at less than monthly exposure to this substance?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 8 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
Your cardiac condition is perfectly well at present condition. That's why cardiologist has ceased the drug.
In autopsy studies usually a combined risk factors are studied. As per my reading such specific study is not there for cannabis. It is a risk factor whether associated or not associated with symptoms. Though you use it very infrequently everyone will advise for abstinence only,Because you are at high risk due to previous episodes.

Hope I have answered your query.