On menopause, bulky and anteverted uterus with a complex cyst on right ovary. Need hysterectomy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my wife aged 51 yers is on menopause for past 12 months,
uterus is bulky,anteverted measured 112x59x55 with diffusely altered focal lesion seen.the endometrium measured 5-6mm thicknesswithregular outlines n homogeneous echopattern tha cavity is empty
right overy measured 52x50mm with complex cyst of 45x40mm
left ovary measured 26x20mm normal size echopattern
no evidence of ascites/pleural effusion seen,no detectable bowel pathology seen
my question is do we need hystrectomy
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
A bulky uterus after menopause with diffusely altered echopattern is a normal variation. Since there is no focal lesion detected, there is no uterine pathology.
A complex cyst in the right ovary needs further evaluation and careful follow up to find out any change in size.
You can have an MRI of lower abdomen to find out the extent of cyst and any pelvic lymph node swelling. If there is no lymphadenopathy detectable then only monitoring of the cyst is needed by a follow up ultrasound after six months.
Right now hysterectomy is neither an indication nor is advisable.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.