On medicines for diabetes, asthma, BP, triglycerides, sleep apnea, have elevated liver enzymes, bladder infection post change of medicines. Cause?

Sep 2013

I take the following meds: gemmfibrozil,pravastatin,metformin,lovaza,ranitidine,furosemideverapamil,pot chloride,chlorthalidone,enalapril, vit b complex, lantus insulin and humilin r insulin, I am a diabetic over 20 years, have asthma, high trys, high BP etc and sleep apnea, My new doctor changed all my meds cause I have been on the old one for over 20 years and thinking maybe a change would inprove. My AIC last time 45 days of getting on new meds was 8.7 this time it was 9.9, liver was elevated as well as kidneys and now have bladder infection, don't understand what is going on and I do have fatty liver disease could some of the meds cause it
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 9 hours later
Thanks for the query to XXXXXXX Forum.

From your medical history, it is evident that you have,
•     Fatty liver non alcoholic,
•     Sleep apnea,
•     Asthma.
Age is 60 years.

First of all we will discuss about the drugs which you are using.
These three drugs are lipid lowering agents.
They decreases the level of,
very low density lipoprotein,
low density lipoprotein( LDL),bad cholesterol
Increase the level of H D L (high density lipoprotein) good cholesterol .
These above mentioned drugs also decrease the fatty infiltration of liver (fatty liver) as in your case.
Already the drugs which you are taking, will reduce the chance of fatty liver.

Lente insulin,
human insulin,
These three drugs are combination therapy for DIABETES .
Metformin also prevents fatty infiltration of liver (fatty liver)
Verapamil and enalapril, both are anti-hypertensive agents and reduce chances of heart attack and angina.
These two drugs act as a diuretic and reduce the fluid retention.
Ranitidine is an antacid, it is given so that these medicines do not induce acidity.
For compensation of potassium loss, due to frusemide , you are taking pot. chlor.

After so many drugs and change of drugs by another doctor as mentioned in your query, the Hb A1C level is still 9.9 %. Upper limit of Hb AIC is 6.5 %, so still your diabetes is not under control. This is the cause of concern.

Before commenting about any disease ( or diseases) I would like to know a few things from you.
•     Please upload the report of ultrasound of liver, Kidney and bladder. Also upload the report of urinalysis for any infection or stone.
•     Color Doppler report of heart with ECHO report.
•     Please mention your weight because obesity, if any can play an important role in diagnosis.
Liver biopsy is used to confirm a liver condition.
Condition of pancreas may play a role in disease.
You have asthma, so you may also experience sleep apnea. Respiratory dysfunction are responsible for sleep apnea.

Hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Good luck.
Follow-up: On medicines for diabetes, asthma, BP, triglycerides, sleep apnea, have elevated liver enzymes, bladder infection post change of medicines. Cause? 13 hours later
Thank you for the information, my biopsy from 20 years ago is correct, my weight was 300 now 205, and at this time I do have a kidney infection. I will stay with the periodical my doctor has now as I do believe in her. Thank you so much for letting me know the above.
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 13 hours later

It's my pleasure to answer you. You can contact me again for any queries.

Wish you a good health.

Dr. Het Ram