On medicines for bph, enlarged prostate, have erectile dysfunction, low libido. Suggestions?

Urologist
Question
I am taking urimax for bph. for enlarged prostrate.
I have problems of erectile dysfunction and lack of interest in sex(libido).
I am 68 with no other health problems. Caverta only occasionally helps in erection.
Vacuum techniques are not easy to use.
please advise
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later
Welcome to the forum.
This is a very valid discussion.
Urimax (tamsulosin) is known to cause these side effects.
It is wiser to change to Alfuzosin with same effect on BPH , but without the mentioned side effects.
Please get your serum testosterone checked and if low may be the reason for the reduced libido.
Caverta , if not effective can be changed to other medicines like tadalafil.
best regards

Follow-up: On medicines for bph, enlarged prostate, have erectile dysfunction, low libido. Suggestions? 24 hours later
do i need prescription for testerone check. will tadalfill produce headache like caverta
how long should i take alfuzosin and its strength

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 34 hours later
Welcome back.
Sorry for the late reply as i did not have net access during my out station visit.
The dose of alfuzosin is 10 mg at night and it is always better to see your doctor and change your prescription. It usually needs to be taken for a long duration, like medicines for diabetes and high BP.
TADALAFIL CAN ALSO PRODUCE HEADACHE BUT YOU CAN START A SMALL DOSE TO START WITH.
Testosterone check is done by a blood test and the same can be written by your doctor during your prescription for alfuzosin.
Best regards

Follow-up: On medicines for bph, enlarged prostate, have erectile dysfunction, low libido. Suggestions? 30 minutes later
i learn from internet that all the side effects of urimax are also in alfuzosin. I have developed sinus problem and sneezing. Will I have to put up with it. I don't have any specific doctor than a general medicl practioner attatched to our university where I am a director.Personal problems are bit embarassing to discuss in person
Thats why I am online. Can I contact u over phone? Are u an androlgist also?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 57 minutes later
Welcome back.
That is great to know about you.
We doctors are used to listening to personal problems and keep it confidential.
You may request him not to mention the same in the record.
If you can go to trichy , there are enough urologists.
Urimax DOES NOT have the retrograde ejaculation problem.
ALso the erectile function is better with alfu.
I am an XXXXXXX too.
Sinus problem should settle with time.
You may contact the admin to see if they let you to talk to me.
Best regards
Dr G Srinivasan

Follow-up: On medicines for bph, enlarged prostate, have erectile dysfunction, low libido. Suggestions? 16 minutes later
thank u Let me put up with the problem
In fact I met a year ago one (Urologist)attatched to KMC who advised surgery for BPH. but I am not for it more so when urine retention is just 19cc in the bladder as confirmed by usg.I learn upto 40 cc is OK.My knowledge comes from reading a book By a professor from university of California on prostrate problems and treatments.He discusses testerone patches for ed

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 36 minutes later
Welcome back.
There is a significant correction in my previous answer.

It should read as
1. Alfuzosin does not have retrograde ejaculation problem.( But urimax has.)
So i want you to shift from urimax to alfuzosin.
I apologize for the mistake.

Surgery for BPH is based on many factors like symptoms and signs, examination findings, scan results and uroflowmetry test.

Size of the prostate and residual urine do not always influence the decision.

The most important of all these is your symptoms.

It is good to know that you keep your knowledge updated about the disease process.
Testosterone replacement in any form (tablets/ injection/patches) is helpful if the levels of testosterone is low and that is why i had mentioned getting your blood levels of testosterone checked.
Hope i have discussed something useful.
Best regards