On medicine for nasal congestion. Food got stuck in nose and have sinusitis attack. Treatment?

ENT Specialist
I have had nasal congestion for over two weeks. Ive been taking nasal decongestants for the past week. I have pain that started over my frontal and maxillary sinuses on the left a few days ago. Today it's just the left maxillary sinus, which is really painful. I went to an urgent care clinic which gave me a steroid shot and a z pack.

The drainage is only coming from the left side, which started dark XXXXXXX but now it's mostly bloody or a dark pink color. I have used a neti pot which clears out the sinus from some mucus but other times its so swollen the water doesn't want to pass.

Lastly, the day before this congestion started over 2 weeks ago I was eating beef jerky, coughed, and it felt like it went up my nose. I never felt it come back down and wonder if it is still up there. I told the PA I saw who said to come back if the antibiotics don't work. My left maxillary sinus hurts so bad right now I'm not sure I can wait to finish the antibiotics before going back. I guess it's because I wonder if food could be the cause and the antibiotics are a waste of time. Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

I doubt any chunk of beef getting stuck behind the nose. At present, if you seem to be having an attack of sinusitis. Z-pack is not sufficient enough to treat your problem. Do not take oral/injectable steroid at this time unless there are some associated complications.

You will require:
1. A broad spectrum antibiotic such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime
2. A mucolytic (such as Bromhexine or Ambroxol)
3. Saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day, followed by steam inhalation, to help in clearing of the mucus from the sinus cavities and opening up of the blocked sinuses.
4. Drink plenty of warm water - this helps inloosening the secretions nad opening the sinus block.
5. Pain relievers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac.
6. Continue with neti-pot
If the symptoms do not subside with the above medications, please consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination. Also, you will require a nasal endoscopy followed by CT scan of the paranasal sinuses to look for any anatomical deformities and blockage of the sinuses.

If there is any blockage of the sinuses or anatomical deformity, surgical intervention is required in the form of endoscopic sinus surgery.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon