On medicine for mild reflux, cholesterol and bp. Getting sharp short electric like spasm. What to do?

Hello there! I am 77 yo male in pretty good health,I take Pariet for mild reflux,adelat 10 for BP, and lastly simvastatin for what was high cholestral,my BP is (and was) 130/60 pulse 54,have started occasional sudden sharp short electric like spasm that shoots down my l/h side its very scary and causes me to panic.My local Dr says its stress related and gave me valium,any ideas as to my problem.Thanks XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Your blood pressure is now normal. Your heart rate is a bit lower.
I presume your cholesterol is also probably normal now!
Your symptoms could be from nerve irritation from cervical spondylosis... Stress (Anxiety) could be a cause or consequence - and valium is good to break the vicious cycle.
Your symptoms are not typical of heart pain. Heart pain is generally like oppression / mid chest / bought on by effort / relieved by rest / may be associated with sweating / may radiate to shoulders, upper arm or back and so on. But there are several exceptions and each one is different.
At any rate, any chest pain at this age, in the background of hypertension and high cholesterol - SHOULD BE PRESUMED TO BE FROM HEART and investigated - generally ECG and cardiac markers (Blood test like CK, Troponin) are done at that time and repeated after a few hours. If they are normal, and if still there are symptoms, a TMT (Treadmill Exercise ECG, with or without thallium) is done.
It is better to play safe...

Wishing you speedy recovery
Good luck