On medications for hypothyroid, knee pain, feel imbalance during walking. Reason and remedy?

Age 65 yrs
Two sons aged 45 and 43 yrs.
Since 1980 diagnosed Hypo thyrodic.
On medication since then. Eltroxin 50 mg is the present dose.
Also taking,Atorva statin 10mg,Aspirin 75 mg
T3 0.99, T410.0, TSH 0.87
Total Cholestrol 110,DHL 36, Triglycerides 109, HDL 36, LDL 73
BP in the range of 120/80 to 140/90
Liver function and kidney function test values are in normal limits.
Medical Problem: while walking in parks or out door a feeling of no confidence. As if the feet are not steady on the ground, a feeling of imbalance while walking.
Knee pain for which I am on Chrondoitin and glucosamine caps.
Kindly advise the reason and remedy for the imbalance feeling during walk.
I have varicose veins on the right leg, behind the knee area.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 1 hour later
Hello madam.
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Your blood tests are completely within normal limits and that indicates you are perfectly alright. Your arthritis is only age related and your problem of imbalance may be due to that.

However,Good balance requires coordination of visual, vetibular (inner ear) and proprio receptors (sensory input from legs and feet). Considering your age, feeling of imbalance due to dizziness or vertigo (momentary spinning sensation) should be ruled out first. Both can demoralize anybody's confidence. Most common cause of of dizziness or vertigo for a person of your age is vestibular disturbances like Menier's disease, BPPV or cervical spondylosis.

Inner ear blood flow and nerve cells start diminishing after the age of 55. If the system is damaged, the person feels dizziness and balance problems. Although you can exclude the vestbular problem by checking, if you get dizziness on walking or standing with eyes closed or in dark, it is imperative that you take a neurologist opinion to rule out all these possibilities.

Balance depends on good muscle muscle strength and proper joints mobility. Arthritis can compromise strength and mobility. Investigations like EMG and Nerve conduction studies will help you to understand the strength and capacity of your joints.

Mild physiotherapy exercises under the guidance of a physiotherapist will improve your muscle strength by increasing the blood circulation. Calcium and vitamin B 12 supplements will help. Soy products are claimed to be useful in arthritis.

Although Atorvastatin can potentiate myopathy in hypothyroidism and old age I feel that possibility is minimal for you as you are taking an optimum dosage of Atorvastatin and your thyroid profile is within normal limits.

I hope I have provided the information you are looking for. I will be happy to clarify any further queries.