On medications for blood pressure. Have chronic cough. Side effect of medicine?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am on 3 medications for blood pressure. Mycardis, Verapamil and Hydrochlorothiazide. I have a chronic cough that sounds like a smoker's cough but I don't smoke. Could one of these meds be causing my problem?
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, thanks for asking. As you mentioned it is one of the side effects of Mycardis. All the medication from this class can cause such a problem. These are very good medications and can protect your heart and kidneys. With regard to this point you may tell your doctor about this and he may decrease the dose to do something to mange this issue instead of discontinuing the medication. In many cases the cough may decrease after passage of time. I wish you a good health.

Follow-up: On medications for blood pressure. Have chronic cough. Side effect of medicine? 3 days later
My doctor did decrease my micardis last year as it was causing my heart rate to be in the 40's. I visited him again recently and my BP has increased, I monitor it reguarly, and so he has put me back on the regular dose of one cap daily. Is there anything else I could take instead? I imagine the answer will be ask my doctor but that is useless as he knows about the cough already.

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 3 hours later
Hi there, since it could be a side effect which may not be seen with other medications with similar action, you may take some medications from the class of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors like captopril or enalapril after talking with you doctor about. I wish you a good health.