On medication for typhoid 2. Scan showed fat collected in the liver. Is it curable?

My mom who is aged about 58 years was diagonized with Typhoid 2 weeks ago and she was on some antibiotics. Since then she has been complaining of stomach pain. She underwent a scan today to which the doctor said that there is fat collected in the liver and has asked to under some diagnostic tests? Is this something serious and curable?
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 36 minutes later
The problem detected on the scan is termed as Fatty liver, and it must have been there for year and is not due to typhoid or the antibiotics.
It is mostly seen in alcoholics, pregnancy related, recovery from prolonged serious illnesses etc.
May be it is the remnant of the past jaundice and the disease has come to an equilibrium.
Get the fresh investigations CBC, Lipid Profile, LFT, PT, CRP levels to know whether the disease is in quiescent stage which I think is the case.
Get an ultrasound of abdomen after 3months to evaluate the progression.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be happy to solve your further queries. In case you are satisfied with my answer, please close the discussion and put a rating for it.
Dr.Monika Choudhary