On medication for tuberculosis infection. Got fever after stopping medicine. What to do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
hi.....my dad has glands t.b and he has taken the medicines for 8months 5days after that the dr.advised him to stop that now he is having the fever again for last one month after stopping the medicines??????
what should we do now??????????????????
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 18 minutes later
Many a times tuberculosis infection may become resistant to the first line of anti tubercular drugs which can lead to treatment failure.
As per guidelines usually the treatment for uncomplicated Tb is six months and in some cases nine months . It does seem that your father has completed the advised course of treatment but if his symptoms are recurrent and his doctor has not reinvestigated him after completion of treatment and declaration of cure then you should get him checked by a specialist doctor either chest physician ( chest Tb specialist ) or any experienced Surgeon ( MS ) . These doctors might order further tests like biopsy of the lymph node to confirm the presence or absence of tb bacilli.
Similarly a thorough evaluation of other systems genitourinary , abdominal , respiratory etc should be done to rule out any concomitant spread of tb .
Please do not hesitate to discuss with your doctor about the relapse of illness or failure of complete cure because there are other stronger medications ( second line Tb Drugs) which can be started in such cases.
Hopei have answered your query .
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing your father good health.

Follow-up: On medication for tuberculosis infection. Got fever after stopping medicine. What to do? 2 hours later
thank u doctor....can u recommend any specialist to us.....

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
It's my pleasure to answer your queries.
I would recommend you to consult the head of the department ( HOD of chest medicine department of a Medical institute/ Govt hospital in your city or a corporate hospital for the best . If not feasible you can consult any MD chest & Tb Physician in your vicinity . You can use the find a doctor in your city application available in this forum for a guideline .
As I am based in Mumbai I am not personally aware of specific doctors in Rajasthan however I can assure you that all over India the treatment guidelines for Tb followed by Hospitals or XXXXXXX physicians are the same .
Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: On medication for tuberculosis infection. Got fever after stopping medicine. What to do? 5 hours later
thank u Dr.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
You are most welcome .Feel free to ask any further queries to me directly through Ask this doctor facility in future .
Wishing you and your family good health forever.