On medication for staphylococcus aureus. Should I discontinue augmentin and continue septra-ds?

I got pretty sick last week and was diagnosed with an ingrown hair that had been infected with staphylococcus aureus. I went to the hospital and they gave me ceftriaxone and vancomycin via IV. When I went home they've given me septra-ds and augmentin to take. I got a call yesterday saying that I could discontinue the augmentin, and just stay with the septra. Does that make sense? I was feeling better sunday and monday, but today I have been super tired, and have been having diarrhea, plus my stomach just feels unsettled. Should I go back to the doctor, or is this just likely a side effect of the anti biotics?
I still feel pretty weak, not sure if I over did it when I went to work on Monday. Last night I felt pretty nauseous and today I did as well. But I don't feel bad like I did before I went to the hospital, (bad chills, body aches, and so forth). Right now I'm just tired, mildly upset stomach, and diarrhea every 4-5 hours or so.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The symptoms of tiredness, weakness and nausea are commonly associated with such infections. Once the active infection subsides, these symptoms will gradually resolve.
The call to discontinue augmentin must have been based on the culture sensitivity report. It is good that you discontinued it as it would have aggravated diarrhea further. Now some simple dietary modifications can help you feel better.
1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.
If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment might be needed after proper examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.