On medication for sinus. Getting crunching and the clicking noises in head. Should I be worried?

Nov 2013

Hi Doctor, (Can I just say first of all that I ve recently done MRI and CT scans for an unrelated issue and they come up with a big polyp in the left maxillary sinus ). About five years ago, when I was still in high school, I got into a habit of doing this clicking thing at a spot around behind my nose towards the center of my head. I did this very frequently during class and throughout the day just out of habit. After doing this clicking for some time, I got a strange feeling like there was an inflated bubble in the center of my head. Also, I started hearing crunching noises and like little clicking noises spontaneously in my head. I went to a doctor and neurologist , and after describing what i did, they prescribed it as sinus problems, gave my sprays and medicine and I went on my way. I didn t think about it too much at the time, but now I m worried that I could negatively affected important structural parts. I still get the crunching and the clicking noises, and a feeling like a built up of fluid that pops, especially first thing in the morning when I wake up. Is it possible that that clicking habit I was doing could have possibly damaged something? Or can it be the sinus polyp causing the symptoms? If so, do you know what exactly I was clicking or doing? I ve tried and am not able to do the clicking thing anymore. I know this is long, so thanks very much for your help.
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for posting your query. I appreciate the detailed description that you have provided.
First of all, I wish to reassure you that your symptoms do not point to any serious disease, and the MRI findings are also good.
There is only one finding- left maxillary polyp. It is a simple problem, and it can be easily treated by ENT, mostly by medications. In rare cases, they may perform a minor surgery to remove the polyp.
Your symptoms are related to the polyp. There is no risk of missing anything, as you have done the MRI and CT scans.
Regarding what caused the clicking sound earlier, most likely it was the nasal bone or cartilage, and it is quite natural.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: On medication for sinus. Getting crunching and the clicking noises in head. Should I be worried? 40 minutes later
Thanks for the answer Dr XXXXXXX I appreciate it. I just want to clarify one point. Do you understand me to mean that I was doing the clicking thing voluntarily? Because that's what I was doing, consciously making the clicking and it made a clicking sound. Could the things you alluded to have been making that clicking nose by me moving them consciously?
And can I just make sure that I couldn't have done anything negative to important parts in my head, like the brain and its associated parts, by doing this clicking thing, even if I did it for long periods of time?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 31 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.
I did mean that you were doing the clicking thing voluntarily.
Also, I wish to reassure you that there is no risk of causing any damage to brain or any other parts associated, due to this maneuver.
Please get back if you have any other queries.
Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)