On medication for mild cholesterol, bp and hypothyroidism. Traces of diabetes found. Underlying cause?

My Mother in Law is suffering from hypothyroidism from the past 10 years , she has mild Cholesterol and blood pressure for which she is on medication . She follows a perfect diet and does yoga daily , her staple diet consists of fruits , fiber and cereals , she tries to avoid rice and prefers rotis . Recent medical test confirmed that she is having traces of diabetes there is no one in her family with (ancestors) diabetes, is it possible that her medical history and her medication might have caused the diabetes , is there any specific test which can prove the involvement of earlier medication in causing the diabetes?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 1 hour later

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX

Thyroid and hypertension medications do not cause diabetes. There are no tests to prove that a specific medication has caused diabetes.

Contrary to that, you should be aware that Thyroid, Blood pressure, Lipids (cholesterol) and blood glucose are interrelated. They usually coexist in many individual. It’s not at all surprising to see a person develop diabetes with previous history of blood pressure, dyslipidemia and hypothyroidism.

If the blood glucose values are above the normal range, they should be treated to prevent the XXXXXXX damage to blood vessels because of glucose (sugar).

I'd advice your mother-in-law to undergo:

Fasting blood glucose
Post meal blood glucose

Above tests would decide, whether she needs medicines for the same or not. Her diet seems quite alright. Yoga is fine too. I'd recommend a daily walk for 30-40mins, if she is physically fit to do that.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.

Follow-up: On medication for mild cholesterol, bp and hypothyroidism. Traces of diabetes found. Underlying cause? 2 hours later
Thanks a lot Dr XXXXXXX for your time and suggestions , I suppose she got her test done . Will send you the numbers if possible and get your further advise.
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 26 minutes later
Hello and thanks again,

I would be happy to comment as soon as I get the details of the report.