On medication for hypertension. Why am I getting electric shock sensation in arm?

Nov 2013

Occationally in the last few days I have been getting an electrical shock sensation in my left arm. It last for about a sec, this happens maybe twice a day. It has only happened in the last 2-3 days. I have not had any type of injury or issue at all with this arm with the exception of moderate joint pain in that shoulder ( It is painful when I reach back over my opposite shoulder) . The only medication I am on is for hypertension I take lasartan 50mg once a day. No other medication. I also have Hep C but have normal liver panel tests. Liver is in good shape. I am 57 years old and a white male. 5'8 194 lbs. Can you tell me what this may be ? This starte happening just a few days ago and lasts no longer than a sec. Thank you
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not point to any serious neurological illness.

The most likely cause for your episodic electricshock like sensation in the arm could be a mild impingement of the nerve. The arm nerve starts in the neck and proceeds upto the fingers. The usual place for the compression of the nerve is in the neck, but it can also occur in the arm, elbow or at the wrist.

As of now, if the symptoms are troubling you, you can take medications such as pregabalin. If pain is not severe, you can wait and watch.

Further evaluation would require consultation with a neurologist.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any additional queries.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist