On medication for high cholesterol and high bp. What diet should be taken?

Age: 33
Sex: Male
Weight: 87 Kg
Height: 174 cm

I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure issues for past 5 years and under medication since then. For more than 3 years now I am taking Telmisartan tablet 20 mg for High BP and Atorvastatin and Fenofibrate tablets 10 mg for High Cholesterol.

My recent Lipid profile report 4 days ago shows me LDL 127.2 mg/dl, HDL 34.0 mg/dl and Trigycerides 164.0 mg/dl. Do I need a change in my medication? I follow a non veg diet and eat once in a week outside home. I eat fresh water fish and chicken. Can you please advice on what I should take for my diet?

Thanks in advance.

Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

At a ht of 174 cm and weight of 87 kg , your BMI ( body mass index) would be 28. A normal BMI is between 18 to 24.9, a BMI of 25 to 29.9 would be classified as overweight.

To determine the level that the LDL needs to be a doctor would first look at : (1) the presence of coronary heart diseases or any disease that is considered equal to coronary heart disease (2) the presence of risk factors for cardiovascular disease.These risk factors are (a)age ( for a male a positive risk factor is being older than 45) (b) smoking history-present smoker (c) history of high blood pressure (e) family history of significant heart disease- a male in the family with heart disease before age 55 or a female before a 65 (f) a HDL less than 40 in males

If your have coronary heart disease according to your doctor or a risk equavilant such as diabetes, peripheral vascular disease or abdominal aneurysm ( enlargement of a blood vessel in the abdomen called the aorta) then your LDL should be less than 100.

If you do not have the above then the total number of the risk factors mentioned above would be determined, based on what you mentioned you have at least 2 of them (HDL less than 40 and history of hypertension).In this case your LDL should be less than 130., which it is.

The fenofibrate should raise your HDL and the dose may need adjusting for maximal effect.
Atorvastatin at 10 mg, is at its lowest dose and can also be titrated upwards to improve the HDL.

In terms of diet, the foods normally recommended for persons with issues with cholesterol are: high fibre- use brown bread/rice/pasta/flour instead of white bread/rice/pasta/flour, use of at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, use of oats, wheat, barley products.You can also use products with plant stanols or sterols which have been shown to reduce cholesterol, some of these include:beets ,nuts, legumes, brussel sprouts, seeds such as flaxseeds.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions