On medication for congestive heart failure, vertigo symptoms

male, 70 years old, taking meds for congestive heart failure, heart clinic say my problem is not heart related. When I look up I become dizzy, see black spots, feel nauseaed and become tired.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later
Your symptoms are suggestive of Veritgo. Its a condition characterised by dizzyness/giddyness and spinning of head associated with nausea and sometimes vomitings. Its also associated with humming or ringing sensation/noise in the ears sometimes.

Now the lesion in vertigo can be either
1. Peripheral - inside the inner ear - Cochlea, or

2. Central - Along the cochlear nerve which travels from ear to brain.

So lesions of ear as well as brain (along the pathway of the cochlear nerve) can lead to vertigo.
Another important cause can be cervical spondylosis which can be ruled out by X-ray cervical spine lateral view.
The treatment of vertigo involves using medications to suppress the impulse generation in the inner ear. Such medicine are Vertin (Betahistine) and Stugeron (Cinnarazine).

You must get your ears checked to see if there is any reversible cause such as wax, infection of ear or any other pathology. I advise you to see an ENT doctor for this.
If your symptoms persist after taking anti vertigo medicines, you must get a CT/MRI scan of the brain to rule out lesions involving brain. Do consult your Physician in this regards.

Usually, its takes 2 - 4 weeks for vertigo to subside on medications. So please be reassured.

Hope this answers your query. Please get back if you need any further information.