On medication for clinical depression. What diet should I take to reduce the current dosage of medication?

Dec 2014

I suffer with clinical depression and have been on medication for about 10 years now. I would like to know if there are any particular types of foods that could help me to reduce the current dosage of medication I have been prescribed or that will help with those in-between head aches I sometimes get. Your feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 37 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Changes in diet and dietary modification have been found to be beneficial in a number of patients with depression. Even many research studies support them. Some of these are-

- Omega-3 Fatty acids, In recent years a number of studies has found that persons taking diet or supplements with omega-3 fatty acids show faster improvement as compared to persons without the supplements. The fatty acids help in conduction of nerve impulses. Diets XXXXXXX in these fatty acids are fish oils especially salmon, sardine etc., plant foods as kiwi fruits, XXXXXXX nuts etc.

- Diets with low saturated fat content and high carbohydrate content are also useful. High carbohydrates help to increase the permeability of amino acid Tryptophan in brain. It is the tryptophan which get converted into serotonin in brain. Serotonin deficient states are responsible for depression. So carbohydrate XXXXXXX diets like cereals, whole wheat will help to improve mood.

- Avoid alcohol completely. It worsens the mood.

- Individuals with low Vitamin-B 12 and Folate levels are at risk of depression. I would advise you to get your B12 and Folate levels checked. If B12 levels comes below 300 then start taking B-complex tablets. Mere restoration of B12 and Folate levels will improve your symptoms.

- Some studies report that diets XXXXXXX in selenium and chromium are beneficial in depression. Sunflower oil, fish oils are XXXXXXX in these minerals.

- Tryptophan XXXXXXX diets help to improve symptoms. Chocolates are one of them. But excess intake of chocolate may increase weight. Eggs, bananas, red meat are also XXXXXXX source of tryptophan.

Try these diets and you will definitely see improvement.

Hope I cleared your query, if you have more question you can ask again in follow up.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)