On medication for bipolar, lymphangiesctasia and nausea. Could I take valerian to sleep?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Bipolar, On (per day) Topiramate: 200 Cymbalta : 120 Abilify: 10 Ativan: 2 Thorazine (varies): 100-200.

ALso on pain meds for lymphangiesctasia, an intestinal defect: Fentanyl patch 75mcg q 3 days,
Norco 10/325 qid prn, hyscyamine er 0.325 q12h cramping phenergan 25mg q4prn nausea

Synthroid 0.2mg asa 325 one qd

Can I take valerian to sleep, or is there something better (not benadryl--makes me sick!)
also melatonin does not work for me
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A medication from Z class is fine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. Any medication from the class of Z can help for your sleep and it wont make you drowsy in the morning. Valerian should be fine, but not all people take advantage of it. You can try to see. As you mentioned antihistamines does not work. They may give paradoxically sleep deficiency and make you more aroused in the night since many of them are not acting just on histamine in the brain. I wish you a good health. Let me know if you have any other query please.

Follow-up: On medication for bipolar, lymphangiesctasia and nausea. Could I take valerian to sleep? 19 hours later
What is medication from class z?

I don't want to take ANY rx sleeping pill in either the family of seconal or the family of the benzodiazepenes.

I don't know about trazodone. Doesn't it have rebound daytime sleeepiness in people who take it?

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Trazodone may cause daytime sleepiness.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, there several medications in the Z class like Zopiclone, Zolpidem, etc. Trazodone causes daytime sleepienss and is not recommended for sleep promotion for insomnia in general. However, it may work for some individuals. In that case the dose is enough to be as low as possible not to cause daytime sleepiness. Best

Follow-up: On medication for bipolar, lymphangiesctasia and nausea. Could I take valerian to sleep? 2 hours later
Is zolpidem ambien? I read that people do things in their sleep, like sleep eating and sleep driving. I am already vulnerable to sleep eating, have woken up with bread in the bed with me.

I really just want to know if the valerian is safe.

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Valerian would be safe.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. Valerian would be safe and you can try it. Best

Follow-up: On medication for bipolar, lymphangiesctasia and nausea. Could I take valerian to sleep? 13 minutes later
Thank You and Best wishes. Good Blessing to You.
XXXXXXX Loewe

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again XXXXXXX

You are most welcome! any time.