On medication for anal fissure. Having pain while passing stool. Is this normal?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi Dr..I am 28 yrs old M, had severe pain near my anal area & was diagnoised as Anal fissure by Urologist couple of weeks back. The doctor had suggested few tablets (do not have the names at this point), xylocaine ointment & SItz bath for 5 days. Post following the prescriptions, in 3 days the boil got bursted & gradually the pain reduced. Now i sometimes have pain/burning sensation during passing stool and also there is pus discharge frequently. Is this normal? I am worried if this could lead into other problems, pls advice what should i do to stop this discharge & heal completely.
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

5 days is way to short to get your fissure healed completely. Your doctor has given a very good treatment but it should last for about 2 weeks or so. Moreover, extremely important in fissure healing is avoiding constipation. You should increase mineral water intake, have more fiber XXXXXXX products, avoid fatty foods. Physical activity should be increased as well.
You should also remember to do not push hard on stool.
If such treatment wont help in 2 weeks, you might have try Nitroglycerin gel.
If your fissure wont get healed in that time, colonoscopy should be performed to rule out all other possible reasons of your symptoms.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: On medication for anal fissure. Having pain while passing stool. Is this normal? 2 hours later
Thanks for the details. My worry now is on the pus discharge. Is this normal? When will this stop? What can i do to stop it?

Also, greatful if you could advice how do i know the fissure is completely cured?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

The pus is quite normal thing associated with fissure. This is your immune system response to the wound irritating factors like bacterias. However if this pus is mixed with stool or there is a lot of it you should have colonoscopy performed if mentioned treatment wont bring any improvement.
The fissure will be completely cured if you stop feeling any sensations(including burning or pain) in the rectal area and the pus will be gone.

Regards.